Wow! Beautiful Monday morning, but this overwhelming cold in the city of Abuja is making it so hard to get out of bed. But I must get out of bed. Laziness in any form isn’t permitted.
Hope you had a splendid weekend? Mine was very lovely… Went to the movies and went to visit a friend. ( Remember, part of my 2015 resolution is to go out often. ) So thanks to NEPA or PHCN for making it possible by withholding power thereby forcing me to go out. But I must say it was worth it. We should all go out sometimes.
You are obviously wondering what I want to talk about today. Well, I want to talk about being intelligent and the challenges that come with it.
Let me ask you this… “Is it wrong for someone to say, I am intelligent”?
Before I go on let me quickly talk about this word HUMILITY…
Humility doesn’t in any way mean self depreciation. So if you want to make yourself appear low in order to please people around you then that’s not true humility. Humility is basically about knowing you have this gift, knowing you are handsome, beautiful, wealthy, influential but making those around you feel comfortable despite your class. Humility doesn’t mean you have to say you are ugly when you are beautiful. Humility doesn’t mean that saying I am wealthy or rich is not right. If the other person feels bad that you say you are beautiful, wealthy or intelligent… Its their problem not yours. Its their low self esteem issues not yours.
I am an overly sensitive person. To the point that I care so much not to hurt anyone. One day I made a post on Facebook and some of my friends came to my inbox to say ” Marilyn, what was that?”… I clearly remember HENRY UKAZU” telling me, dear, please don’t run down yourself to be seen as humble…
So humility isn’t equivalent to self depreciation.
Let me go down to what I actually want to talk about today… Being intelligent and the challenges that come with it.
Are you used to folks calling you “Over sabi”, ” I too know”, ” or “obstinately raising an argument because they can’t bear the fact that you always have a correct answer”, ” or those who just sit by the corner waiting tirelessly for a blunder or an error to come from you and then yeah it comes and they make statements like oh, this one pass you”…
If you are used to this then this might interest you.
For someone to be intelligent and known or seen to be intelligent. It means you are faster, smarter and more independent than most people in learning and coming up with ideas etc. And this comes with a lot of challenges.
1. You usually stand out in a group, you are not afraid to voice out your opinion and when others in the same group are suffering from “BANDWAGON SYNDROME”, you are not afraid to voice out your opinion to the anger and maybe envy of others in the same group. As such, you may always be seen as the odd man out and statements like “I too know”, “over sabi house wife”, ” how can you know more than all of us” will crop up. This is a big challenge isn’t it?
2. Most intelligent people are usually very confident, which most who do not understand often misinterpret as arrogance. You are sure of yourself at all times. You are undaunted in your opinions and this leaves people wondering and eventually hating. Another big challenge!
3. Now, most people will remember all the times that you get something wrong, and they will never let you forget it! Some people might even be looking for errors and failures in all you do. When they find it, they rejoice as though their lifespan increases with each error from you. But when they don’t find them, they tag you “know-it-all.” Now tell me if this isn’t a challenge! *laughs out loud*
4. Intelligent people are usually original people. They can’t fake it, they live life genuinely. And its another big challenge there.
5. Being Intelligent isn’t easy and can be very depressing or frustrating. What others see and look away, you can’t see and ignore. You want to make a difference. You are always trying to solve a problem. You want to effect change. And because you can’t effect this change all alone, it weighs down your mind. Others just think you take life too seriously. They don’t believe in change and you are left trying to always find those who believe. One hell of a challenge!
6. This challenge is one of the biggest. This time its you being too damn hard on yourself. Because, you are intelligent so you must get everything right. You must not fail. Even when you are ill or not to strong, you must get up and fix things. You don’t want to ever think that there is something you can’t do. You will rather not sleep than get them done. Yes your brain is you asset so why can’t I fix things? After all I am intelligent! So no rest!
7. Being intelligent makes you feel that you must do great things and even makes you fel like you are a disgrace when you don’t. Isn’t this a challenge?
8. Being intelligent can bring problems in relationships especially when you have to constantly deal with slow people. They will not understand you and will make it seem like you are so perfect or even overbearing. Even in romantic relationships. If your partner isn’t as smart and fast, issues will always crop up. Hmmm!
9. Sometimes, it appears like you are so hard to please. This is not true but this is how the less intelligent people feel about you except those who are corrigible. Don’t you think this is a challenge too?
10. Another big challenge is, you don’t get enough rest. Your mind is constantly at work. Even when you are lying down, you are not resting. You are the last to retire to bed and the first to wake up.
There are so many challenges intelligent people face… Sometimes, I see a lot of sense in the phrase “Ignorance is bliss”!
Those who do not know as much are so relaxed and less is even expected of them. But when you are intelligent, expectations are high. No, you can’t be jobless, you can’t be broke, you can’t be single, you can’t be this and that.
You are intelligent and its not your fault. But I want to advise you to accept yourself as you are because you are a special person and without your type, the world would have not advanced. Put in all your best and scream from what ever mountain you represent. Expect those challenges and device ways to cope with them. For the part where I mentioned being too hard on your self, you have to stop because you cannot carry the world on your head.
Look out for like minds and form a clique that will work towards a common goal to change our world.
You were created intelligent for a reason…
Let us feel you.
Be Enlightened! Be Inspired!! Be Motivated!!!