I have been meaning to write about this for sometime now, but it keeps skipping my mind. But I am writing it today.
By the way, how was your weekend? Mine was peaceful. And I am very charged and ready for this week with a multiplied amount of enthusiasm and optimism.
There are things that matter so much that we often neglect. We don’t consider them as very important but they are. And that the reason why I am writing on this subject today.
I am talking this morning about words which have become household words because we are so used to them. I am talking about words that we all hear on daily basis. I am talking about INSPIRATION and MOTIVATION…
Okay! What is it about INSPIRATION and MOTIVATION this morning?
Well, I am not writing to give you motivational tips or to inspire you, I am writing because I have discovered that a lot of people use these words as though they are synonyms. But these 2 words are not synonyms… They mean 2 different things!
INSPIRATION is totally different from MOTIVATION…
Now what is motivation? And what is inspiration?
Let’s take the definition from the dictionary and I know we all have one. If you don’t have a hard copy, you have your gadgets so you can check them on the internet.
1. The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
2. The quality of being inspired, especially when evident in something.
3. A person or thing that inspires
a sudden brilliant, creative, or timely idea
the divine influence believed to have led to the writing of the Bible
There are many more definitions but for the purpose of this article, these 3 will do.
1. The reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.
2. The general desire or willingness of someone to do something.
3. To drive or force or persuade one to do something.
And lots more.
From the definitions I gave above, I know you can make out the difference yourself. Inspiration and motivation come from two different places.
Inspiration, comes from within you most of the time… The word inspiration means to be in the spirit. Inspiration is closely knitted with passion. Its often natural, no stress involved because it flows naturally from a source.
Motivation on the other hand comes from external factors, its about psyching one up, its about using money, force, or attractive measures which are physical to get one to do something because they should or because it is something that will help them in the long run.
You get the difference now?
Inspiration comes from within, motivation comes from outside… Motivation is a good thing , very good but it is not a passionate, burning desire that emanates from the core of our being.
INSPIRATION is one’s divine calling, Its one’s talent, gift and passion, its one’s connection with his true self and potentials.
MOTIVATION is about the things you should do or you are supposed to do.
When you are inspired,
1. Life seems effortless.
2. Your zeal and passion don’t wane because of unfavourable results or conditions.
3. You are constantly full of energy and optimism.
4. You are confident and see beyond the present.
5. You feel satisfied at your ability whether you are acknowledged or not because it comes from your inner man.
6. You don’t follow trend, you don’t follow the crowd because their is something you see which others may not see.
When you are motivated,
1. You have to always be psyched, preached to, encouraged and rewarded to be able to go on because motivation wanes off.
2. You do not know your core values, you are not aligned with them so its easy to be pushed around or find yourself not knowing what to do.
3. Its easy for you to get corrupt because its external and it means anything can make you act. If money is your motivation for example, you do the unimaginable once given a huge sum. (Motivation isn’t always positive).
Now, someone is asking… ” How do I get inspired?”
Well, for you to be inspired, you have to search for who you are and DISCOVER YOURSELF because inspiration isn’t external, its internal.
INSPIRATION is tied to self discovery. You have to search yourself, to actually know who you are… That’s the only way to truly stayed inspired. You have to know what your core values are, that’s a step towards SELF DISCOVERY which gives us all the inspiration we need.
I didn’t mean for this to be too lengthy but sometimes, in a bid to make things clearer we have to go on and on…
I hope that I have been able to clearly distinguish the 2 words…
I hope that by now, all of us now know the difference between these 2 words…
INSPIRATION makes you… It makes you anticipate… It brings fulfillment!
Its better to be inspired than to be motivated.
So discover who you are today in order to be inspired.
Be Enlightened! Be Inspired!! Be Motivated!!!